Can’t view the video? Here’s the transcript:
Jennifer Nugent, Homeowner: “I feel like I put them in harm’s way more so than I ever could have just staying where we were. I regret moving so bad.”
Jennifer Nugent and her husband spent thousands of dollars remodeling this home before moving in with their three children last year. A few months later, they were constantly sick – coughing, diarrhea and vomiting – but they couldn’t figure out why.
Nugent: “It just got to a point where we couldn’t stay well.”
Nugent’s concern turned to panic when her new neighbors shared some disturbing news. The home’s former owner was a meth user. Nugent immediately had her home tested and results confirmed high levels of contamination.
Nugent: “That’s when we knew it was bad and I was so grateful we did not return.”
The Nugents moved out in March and are now working with a certified company that specializes in meth lab testing and cleanup.
Rick Held, Crisis Cleaning: “We’re trying to put the family back together by putting the house back together.”
When making or smoking meth, nothing escapes contamination. A string of toxic chemicals saturates carpets, walls, ductwork, ceilings and furniture, forcing cleanup crews to throw away just about everything before thoroughly cleaning all surfaces. Exposure to even small amounts of those poisons can cause serious health issues, especially in small children.
Held: “If you just think mold’s bad, no meth is worse. And I mean mold’s pretty bad, and asbestos, yeah sure, but meth is up there.”
Angie Hicks, Angie’s List founder: “Meth labs can be found anywhere. This is not a rural home problem. You can find them in suburban lovely homes to million dollar penthouses. So, you want to be aware of the dangers of a home that’s had a meth lab in it and be sure that you’re doing all of your research before buying.”
So, what can you do to protect yourself?
Hicks: “Knock on doors. Introduce yourself as looking at the house down the street and find out what you can.”
Nugent: “My advice is despite the condition of the home just spend that extra $50 for your piece of mind to know that there is not meth in the house.”
Video Producer & Editor: Rachel Hardy | Videographer: Rachel Hardy & Jennifer Wiley | Script Writer: Jodie Kehoe