An electric fireplace is an attractive way to improve your room design, but it’s still a heat-producing appliance with the potential for danger. Take steps to prevent fires and ensure electric fireplace safety with these tips courtesy of Ashley Eldridge, director of education for the Chimney Safety Institute of America:
• An electric fireplace generates about as much heat as a small space heater, so treat it like an ordinary fireplace and never put anything closer than 36 inches.
• Never place the power cord underneath the carpet where people might step on it or short it out.
• Keep electric fireplaces out of rooms with running water.
• Make sure children stay away from the fireplace.
• As with any other fireplace, never leave the room for an extended period while the fireplace is still operating.
• When you’re not using an electric fireplace, turn it off and unplug it.
Do you have an electric fireplace, or would you like to install one? Tell us about it in the comments below.