Helmut & Vito's Service and Parts

A 20 Reviews

Founded 1977 • Angie's List since June 2010

1430 Ogden Avenue

Downers Grove, IL 60515

Helmut & Vito's Service and Parts opened for business in September of 1977. For the past 30+ years it has been the definitive European import, auto repair shop in the suburbs of Chicago. Both Helmut and Vito retired from the business to relax and spend more time with the grandchildren. They still stop by to say “Hello” and to make sure that we are doing it right. Since 2008, transition between original and new owners been seamless. Jim and Tony were both previously employed for years by “The Wise Ones”. Over the years they learned all the tricks-of-the-trade from the masters. Our Promise: We both want to thank all of our customers for continuing to support our small shop. In return, we promise to continually improve, update and guarantee that your experience will be nothing but better. Whether it's a complex technical problem or just a routine tune-up or oil change, let Helmut and Vito's factory trained experience go to work on your Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Volvo, Audi or VW....

auto repair (20)car inspection (4)tire buying and repair (1)

03/04/2017

We trust Helmut & Vito's implicitly. If they say it needs to be done....it needs to be done. We have 6 vehicles between 4 drivers and we gladly take the Bentley to Helmut & Vito's over the dealer anytime. I deal with Adam primarily - incredibly professional, patient, knowledgeable and he provides excellent customer service to go with the outstanding mechanic services provided. We couldn't be happi...

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
We have used Helmut & Vito's for everything from Oil Changes to trying to find the source of a high pitched noise heard while simply following the curve in a road. Battery replacement - battery keepers installed, etc. Brakes and so on.

WORK COMPLETED ON 03/04/2017

01/04/2016

It went very well. I had it towed there, and they were very nice. I've been going there for a little while, and they're always very nice. They sometimes don't even charge me to take a look at what's wrong!

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
My alternator failed in my VW Golf. They replaced it. They also did some standard lube & tune-up work while they had it, and found a mouse nest in my blower motor that they removed.

WORK COMPLETED ON 12/14/2015

11/12/2015

I play musical cars w/ Helmut and Vito's (one car goes in, and when that's done, I swap it out with next car in line, etc.) - I bring in all of my cars, my parent's cars, and my in-laws cars.  My 06 Volvo XC90 had some electronic modules that shorted out - quote from dealership for part alone knocked me over.  Helmut and Vito use a shop on the east coast that was able to repair the units.  All sai...

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
3 vehicles total - Routine maintenance for 2 vehicles (oil change, tire rotation), repair of 2 electronic modules (modules were shipped out to repair shop) of one vehicle.  (dealer quotes for new two modules along is over $3000).

CATEGORY auto repair,car tires

WORK COMPLETED ON 11/11/2015

11/11/2015

Way cheaper than Mercedes dealership and excellent work.  We love these guys.  We moved to the city but still bring our cars back to DG for them to work on.  They are that good.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Repaired electrical in the car so the keyless remote would work

WORK COMPLETED ON 09/08/2015

04/26/2015

Tony and company evaluate your car and give you an estimate, which is right on. Work done sooner than promised. They take ownership and pride in their work.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Change Alternator

WORK COMPLETED ON 04/09/2015

03/31/2015

I would definitely use them again.  I have used them probably five years.  I trust them.  They are honest.  They don't try to sell you things you don't need.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Auto service.  Brakes.  Oil and transmission fluid.  Rotate tire.

WORK COMPLETED ON 11/05/2014

03/02/2015

This is the first time I have had maintenance done on this car from someone other than the dealer.  I was very happy with everything and I saved money.  We have used Helmut & Vito's for another vehicle and have been happy with the service and repairs on that car too.  I would say the only minor drawback is that you need to plan ahead as Helmut & Vito's is smaller than a dealership.  It may take a ...

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
60k maintenance on my VW Jetta TDI Wagon + tire rotation.

WORK COMPLETED ON 01/02/2015

07/07/2014

My dealership originally told me the service would cost ~500, and tried to sell me a few other services as well, when I was in for the covered maintenance on my car.  Spoke with Tony who was very help full in telling me what should be done and what doesn't need to be done on my car.  Car was done in a day and for less than I was originally quoted.  Will always bring my car back to Helmut & Vitos.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Front and rear differential flush

WORK COMPLETED ON 06/30/2014

06/10/2014

I called the shop on Wednesday to schedule an appointment. They told me they were booked until the next week. I explained the situation and Tony told me if I could leave the car with him, they would look at it Thursday or Friday if possible. I brought the car in and received a call on Thursday with a diagnosis and an estimate. The car was ready on Friday and the repair cost was as estimated. I hav...

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
The van was leaking power steering fluid. Helmut and Vito's diagnosed the problem and repaired a power steering hose and a drive belt that was damaged by the leaking fluid.

COST $381.21

WORK COMPLETED ON 03/21/2014

09/14/2013

I used H&V on a recommendation for brakes on my VW Toureg and was looking for a great price, fast service, and a great job.  The guys met all my expectations.  It's easy to see why H&V is a busy place.  These guys do a terrific job.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Complete brake service

WORK COMPLETED ON 09/05/2012

Bosch and ASE certified, engine work, electronics, transmission, suspension, drivetrain, brakes, AC & heat, emissions, tire, alignment, oil and fluids & pre-purchase inspections.

Discover, MasterCard, Visa, Financing Available