S M THORNTON LANDSCAPES

• Trade License Expiration
  • 20160930

9248 SUMMIT DR

Birmingham, AL 35235

We are a complete design and installation landscaping company. We contract one job at a time and complete each job one at a time. Upon request, we will supply each prospective customer with an extensive list of references and photographs of work completed by our company. We work in the greater Birmingham area including Shelby, St. Clair, and Blount counties. We provide residential landscaping exclusively, and we do not contract with anyone other than the home owner....

lawn & landscaping (84)irrigation system (25)hardscaping (16)lawn care (16)mulch delivering (6)drain pipe installation (5)stone and gravel (5)deck building (2)tree service (1)leaf removal (1)lawn treatment (1)

07/23/2020

We consulted with Markus on our landscape project where he came over in person multiple times and helped give us ideas on our project. He was thorough in his vision and although we ultimately went in another direction, his professionalism and attention to detail was reflected in his bid and advice that he provided. We would continue to shortlist and consider him in future projects.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
landscape project

WORK COMPLETED ON 07/18/2020

07/11/2020

This was a fantastic experience! Steve evaluated my yard, did soil samples, and made recommendations--which worked. He later came back and installed shrubs, then came back and treated them when they needed it. I would highly recommend him for any project.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Landscaping

WORK COMPLETED ON 08/18/2020

12/28/2019

Quite pleased with the results. Steve is very detailed oriented and has excellent engineering skills. His crew is dedicated to doing quality work.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Landscaping including hardscape

CATEGORY landscaping,hardscaping

WORK COMPLETED ON 12/26/2019

D

05/22/2019

He never showed up to give an estimate despite setting appointments. This makes me feel his company is not reliable and I would not recommend utilizing this company.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Patio installation

CATEGORY landscaping

My apologies to this Angie's List member. While it is true that we never were able to confirm a mutually agreeable time to meet and discuss this member's project, I did respond to his requests promptly and professionally. Therefore his review of our company's professionalism and our promptness are baseless. Regarding our price, there was never any quote or work completed with this member so any re...

04/11/2019

I had some existing landscaping that was in need of help. Steve Thornton came to give me a quote and I knew right then he was the man for the job. There were bushes in the existing landscape that were overgrown for the space. Instead of digging them up and throwing them out, Steve suggested placing them in another place in my yard that would better accommodate their size and growth habits. I love ...

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
revamping old existing landscaping

CATEGORY landscaping,mulch

WORK COMPLETED ON 11/12/2018

Thank you so much. We enjoyed meeting and working with you. I look forward to seeing you again and helping you with the pruning. You have been a blessing to us.

09/20/2018

We are very pleased with the result. It looks great! One tip: we have a lot of trouble with weeds and vines. Steve put down a special weed blocker that looked more like a blanket that the paper-thin mess that you buy at Lowes or Home Depot. He then covered everything with a thick layer of pine bark. It really, really looks good! They did a great job at a fair price.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Redo the plant beds on the front and side of the house, move some trees, put in a stone border.

WORK COMPLETED ON 09/20/2018

C

09/15/2018

Came out and spent time with us. He had warned us he was busy. This was several weeks ago. Went back and forth by email but he was not able to provide an estimate. We had to hire someone else. I have no doubt he does superior work and is a professor. I think he just is too busy for us. Maybe the job was too small.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Removal and replacement of an old patio, and some general landscaping work.

WORK COMPLETED ON 09/15/2018

Thank you for your honest review. Again, I apologize to you for failing to submit my proposal for the work you requested. Our work schedule stays full throughout the year, but that is [Member Information Removed] excuse for my failure to follow through on your request. My best to you in completing your project with the other company. I will do my best in the future to keep from disappointing anoth...

06/27/2017

I had an excellent experience with them. I have not used them yet. He has been out a couple of times and we have communicated back and forth.  We are talking about landscaping, but I have not quite decided if I can afford all of it right now. Everything about him was awesome. He did not charge me anything for the estimate. He offered to do soil testing and everything with no charge. He was going t...

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
He was here for an estimate and consult to totally re-landscape my front and back yard. Replacing sod and all that stuff. He also was going to put a sprinkler system, which was included in the estimate.

CATEGORY landscaping,irrigation systems

WORK COMPLETED ON 06/27/2017

03/17/2017

Steve did an excellent job in constructing a wall which is both aesthetically pleasing and functional. The lawn and ground cover, as well, are also more pleasing to the eye and much less of a problem to maintain. (I only wish that I had not spread fertilizer with a weed killer on it after just 6 months - way too soon.) Steve is honest and reliable, and I believe his prices are competitive. He has ...

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Over the 25 years since the house was built, runoff from neighbors to the north combined with shade from our trees and house had created a serious erosion problem. Other landscapers and designers had suggested solutions which were either too expensive or which I suspected would not yield the desired results. We chose Steve's proposal to construct a low retaining wall at the property line with a drain line leading away from the house. Most of the water drains into that line although some small amount still drains through the glued-but-otherwise-dry-laid wall. He graded between the wall and house and installed a zoysia lawn to better tolerate the shade while holding the soil in place. Then, toward the back of the house and down a steeper slope, he installed spreading liriope; this eliminates the need to mow the steeper slope while still stabilizing the soil. (I mow/prune it high only once a year in January.) He also installed a French drain near the front end of the wall where a tree blocked the water flow, installed a second low wall to control the grade near the front of the house, and adjusted the sprinkler system. Later in the summer of 2014, Steve returned to install a zoysia lawn in the front of the house.

CATEGORY landscaping,lawn service,irrigation systems,pavers, gravel,drain pipe,hardscaping

WORK COMPLETED ON 03/10/2014

12/27/2016

Excellent job overall, and Steve was very responsive to correcting a few minor concerns I had after initial work was done.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Sod replacement, removal and replacement of existing shrubs, removal of old ground cover and installation of miniature mondo grass, installation of new French drain.

CATEGORY landscaping,pavers, gravel

WORK COMPLETED ON 12/27/2016

With the one exception of weekly lawn maintenance, we offer a complete line of landscape services from residential design and master planning to installation of every kind of plant material (landscape and garden ornamentals, trees, grasses, sod, etc.). We also design and install water features (ponds, waterfalls, fountains, etc.), decorative as well as structural retaining walls, garden walls, decorative paver systems, garden structures (gazebos, pergolas, arbors, etc.)

We do not offer any lawn maintenance (weekly or otherwise) except for the required professional pruning and fertilization of our customer's landscape plants and trees.

Check, PayPal