Things went okay to a point. He repaired the two faucets and replaced the shut-off valves, although he had to leave and go to purchase parts, which seemed to take quite some time. He then replaced a section of pvc pipe running from one of our outdoor faucets to extend it out from under our deck to the front of the deck. This was just a replacement of the line that was already there and had split from exposure to the elements. He then went into the crawl space to replace the leaking outside faucet. He hadn't been under the house long when he came to me and told me that he had seen snakes in the crawl space and he wasn't going to complete changing out the faucet until I could assure him that the snakes had been removed. He gave me the replacement parts, his personal phone number and told me that when I was sure there were no snakes, he would return on his own time to complete the job. I took him at his word and paid him $427.00 for 6 hours labor at $50.00 an hour, plus $127.00 in parts. On August 4, 2015 I had A All Animal Control do a complete inspection of the crawl space under my house. He spent a good hour or so inspecting all areas. He did find a couple of old snake skins that had been there for quite a while, but saw no signs of any live snakes or evidence of any recent activity. Once he left I tried several times to contact the repairman, but he had no message service set up on his phone and I got no answer. After several tries, I did reach him and he assured me that he would be out to finish the job at the end of the week. He was a no show. I tried a couple of times after that to reach him, but got no answer. As the weather turned colder and my attempts to contact him were unsuccessful, I stopped trying to reach him. As the weather improved, my husband starting trying to contact the repairman, and scheduled him to come and finish. Again, he was a no-show. When my husband contacted him again, he apologized and said he had forgotten. He scheduled again and this time we had to cancel because of a conflict of times. He hasn't been able to connect with him since. All we want is for them to install the new faucet and to honor the promise that the repairman would come back and finish the job without further costs. The next step, my husband contacted Greg Hughes via a message on their website. My husband had one conversation with Greg Hughes via telephone and since that time, we have received no action or further contact with the company or the repairman who came to our house. To say I'm disappointed would be accurate. Between the repairs we paid for, having to call someone to inspect for snakes, we are out over $650.00 and still have a leaking outdoor faucet.