The best way to start this is to describe the entire remodeling as it went down. We found companies on Angie?s List that would do windows, siding and remodeling of our back sun room. We had were old single pane windows with a spring loaded aluminum side casing. They were cracked and very hard to open and close. The back sun room had a door we do not use and two steps from the kitchen to the room (about 15 inches high each), the floor also had a hole from a rotted out piece of plywood. After meeting with high pressure salesman and companies that would only do windows and siding we selected Elite Builders. The president of the company was very personable and seemed to really care what we wanted. We told them that we had a limit of $30,000.00 for the project. After taking measurements and looking over the project they came back with an estimate of $30,000.00. We signed a contract in August of 2014 with half of the $30,000.00 down. We did add a garage door front porch railing and two entry doors to the project for about $4,000.00. We were introduced to the on-site manager at this time. He had been a plasterer and was moved to the manager?s job due health reasons. After a week they sent a new employee with a representative from the local building supply firm to measure for the windows. This representative told us that what we wanted was not what we should have and proceeded to his measuring instructing the new employee as he went. The windows were to be new install (with mounting flanges versus remodel windows with no flanges) as flanges seal better for weather proofing. After a couple of weeks the windows arrived and were placed in the garage, the siding was placed outside near our garage. Another week went by and the windows/siding crew arrived (10 employees from a sub contractor). I later found out that Elite only had about 10 employees and was only a general contractor. In about 3 days they had all of the old aluminum siding taken off and the new siding up and windows in. The old siding (worth about $4-500.00 at today?s prices was placed on my neighbors lawn. They then charged me $300.00 per load to remove the old debris and aluminum, it took about 3 trips. My written estimate did not show any credit for the scrap value of the aluminum, and I found out later that they used their own trailer for the debris and had a dumping permit ($30.00-40.00) at the landfill. In the process for installing the siding the trampled my 29 accent lights in my bedding, I now have 3 left working. Some of the windows are retro fits with mounding holes for reinstall holes in the sides, to be covered by plugs. I have never seen shimming with 2x4?s and 1? lumber to get the windows in the old openings, it seems that they ordered smaller windows than were needed and put in lumber to make them fit. In this process we had to completely re-plaster every room because of the smaller windows. They did offer to put new trim around all windows which would have cost about $1,500.00. They stained the trim to match our existing woodwork but when it arrived it looked like a camouflage patchwork of paint. We asked them to try again. Since it was the middle of winter we both agreed it would be too much odor to polyurethane the wood then. It took quite a while before they were able to get started on the sun room, as they also get work from boarding up fire damaged homes and get a retainer from the insurance company. They had the same crew that did the siding work on the porch remodel and had the floor and steps removed in a day. The new flooring was installed as well as the 6 foot sliding door. The carpet was then laid down. After a day the carpet was sucked down into the ½? gap between the sheets of plywood as they did not fill in the gap. The carpet was pulled up and the gap filled in with wood putty, and re-laid. They put up a new set of stairs (now 4 steps) and put in a railing that was similar to an outside porch/pool railing. We had paid for an ornamental railing and newel posts. When we stated that it was not acceptable they ripped the railing out. In the process of putting down the floor they left the wiring above the floor. They had to remove the floor to place it under the new sliding door. They then found that the floor had severe squeaks and had to rip it up again to add more stabilizers under the 2x4?s. They had placed the insulation on the old concrete and when the floor had any weight it would act like a spring and squeak. It still squeaks today. They had another pair of workers come and put in the ornamental railing and outside railing. They did an outstanding job. We also found out that we only had a 60 amp service (like everyone else in out neighborhood) and the old XO series breakers that they do not make any more. We decided to upgrade to a 160 amp service at this time, with new service head and a main disconnect. They also did a great job and had it done in a day at another $2,000.00. They were also subcontractors. It is now April 2015 and we are nearing the finish line. There were many small items that needed fixed after our review. Some still go unanswered, we were shown one outside railing and they installed a different one. We asked to have screen door that could reverse the screen from the bottom to the top (prevents my grandson from pushing it out) It looks as if it cannot be switched. They did adjust our total bill down from the charging of two pairs of ornamental railing for the sun room down to one.