I asked Katet Handyman Services to provide quotations for wooden porches to replace two cement porches. (Removal of the existing porches was handled by a separate contractor. I told David that the base of the front porch had been poured with the foundation, and would be remaining in place, with the new porch to be built over it. This turned out to be the case with the side porch also, discovered only when the cement was broken up for removal.) I also asked for a quote to install a new exterior door. David and Jeremy were polite, responsive, and professional. David sent his quote by e-mail, and I was very pleased with the numbers. I will admit that I made a major mistake at this point by not requesting a detailed proposal as to what would be provided for the quoted prices. This was the first of several 'miscommunications' that occurred during this 'project'. This was my first experience with hiring contractors, and I relied too heavily on Angie's List, and the limited reviews available. Also, I wasn't assertive enough when I realized communication was lacking. The front porch was completed in two days, and I was happy with the result. It was one foot wider than the porch it replaced, as David had said would be necessary to allow the supports to be placed adjacent to the old cement porch base. Even though David had recognized this when he took the measurements for the new porch (I told him the cement contractor would be removing only the 8" thick 'deck' and the three cement steps, leaving the base, to be built over by the new wood porch), he apparently failed to include that additional one foot width when quoting materials. As a result, the planks for the new deck were not long enough. Material exchanges were necessary. The steps were attached to the decking, but the next day, Jeremy said he had to remove them and move them over, as they hadn't been centered properly to align with the railings that were to be installed. More time was invested, and I wondered how David was going to cover his increased material, and now labor costs. I was wary, but didn't ask any questions. Now on to the second porch. When I discussed the porches originally with David, I said I wanted the porches replaced as they were, which meant the side porch would have two sets of steps, one leading toward the back of the driveway, one toward the front, with a narrow porch side-to-side, just as the cement porch had been, due to the location of the driveway, immediately adjacent to the porch. David mentioned that the two back steps would have to be replaced by three, since the step depth on that side was not up to code, but that the steps would then extend past a portion of the block glass basement window. I told him that was not a problem. I had no reason to believe when I saw the quote David sent me that it did not cover the two sets of steps on the side porch, as we had discussed. David was on another job, and Jeremy and another worker were working on the deck of the side porch, when Jeremy asked me if I had decided on whether I wanted one set of steps or two. He said then that to install a second set would be an additional $150. I was angry at myself for not getting an itemized quote from David, angry at David for putting Jeremy in that position of confronting me with additional charges, and realized THIS was probably how they decided to recoup some of the losses they had on the front porch installation. Having budgeted based on the quote, I opted for a single set of steps. Almost immediately, I wished I'd told them I needed to think about it overnight, but I let them continue, to my regret. The porch is nice as it is, but it doesn't meet our needs like the dual set of steps would have. The door installation was to be the final part of this project, and the labor was provided by Jeremy and the other worker. Every time I heard the power saw screeching, I gritted my teeth, wondering just what I had gotten myself into. My house is over 50 years old, and probably not easy to retrofit, but I hadn't realized it would be necessary to saw through the wood siding of the house to take the old door out. Once the new door was in, I checked with Jeremy, who admitted it had been a trial getting the new door installed. He told me he could trim up the slashes around the periphery of the door frame, and add a band of metal trim and caulk to seal it, but it would cost me 'around $80 extra'. I was home at all times when the crew was working. I was available at all times for updates, discussions, etc. that never happened. I was appalled by the uneven gashes around the door frame, but knew I couldn't seal it up myself. At this point, I felt I had no recourse but to give the go-ahead. The side entry looks 'okay', but there are chips and gouges in the wood siding that I will take care of myself. This whole experience, that started out to be so positive, has left a very bitter taste in my mouth. When David came by to pick up my check, I expressed some of my disappointments about the way things were handled. His response was that I had asked for the quote 'both ways, with one set of steps and two', and in his busyness, he failed to quote the 'two step option'. I do not buy this excuse.