He wanted a lot of money upfront ($18,000). I told him that the only way I would give him any money up front was if it was for materials. He stated that he had $15,000 in materials for the job. At the time, I naively agreed to give him $15,000 upfront. He requested that it be sent in small checks of $5,000 or less because Bank of America would freeze the money in his account for a few weeks and it would delay project progress. This was the first of many lies that he would feed me during the project. As I found out later, all payments I made to him were cashed at a currency exchange!!! Can you believe it?! He cashed my checks for my project at the currency exchange (unfortunately I did not realize this until later). August 2012 - I signed the contract on August 10, 2012. Prior to the project beginning, I installed an ADT system to secure the property and monitor activity at the property. I get emails every time the doors open and close, which was very useful for me, since I live about 1.5 hours from the project. The project seemed to get off to a very good start. His guys were there every day for about a week or so and seemed to be making good progress by the end of August. September 2012 - I visited the site mid September and noticed that nothing had really been done since my last visit in August. I asked Andrew why nothing had been done. He replied that his guys had been there almost every day for the past several weeks. I checked the security system records and found that this was simply not true; the security system confirmed that there was very little activity during this period. Then on September 22, 2012, he requests $26,000 more upfront so that he can "keep going on the project and buy materials". I was really p*****. I asked what about the $15,000? He said he spent it doing plaster prep. In the end he only had a receipt for $4,000 in kitchen cabinets. He lied to me and stated that the plumber needed $6,000 just to show up to the project and the electrician needed $7,000 just to show up because the project was so far. I agreed to another 17,000 ($4,000 for him) so that materials could be purchased and so more work could be done. The project was beginning to run behind and I didn't want to jeapordize October completion. October 2012 - Not much was happening. I visited the property on the morning of October 23, 2013, only to find a stop work order on the door!! I was furious. At this point, we were near the end of October 2012 and I find that no permits have been pulled for the work (electrical or plumbing). The plumber started working without a permit. I talked to Andrew and he empathized with me and said he was going to take care of it. He said he "sweet talked the inspector" and that all of his paperwork was in order. Mind you at this point, he still hadn't brought the electrician on board. And he had no idea how he was going to get the sewer work done. Novermber 2012 - Hardly anything happened still at this point, other than him cashing one of my checks ($7,000 of the $17,000 I released to him at the end of September) April 2013 - As it turns out he mismeasured the kitchen by a whole foot and the cabinets did not fit, but I had to find out about this 6 months later from one of his subs who wasn't getting paid.