We got estimates for interior & exterior painting, wallpaper stripping, and laminate floor installation on June 13th. We decided to go ahead with the project but didn't hear back from Josh for several weeks. In the meantime, we had someone else begin stripping the wallpaper. We finally heard from Josh and he measured the floor and told us how much to order which took about 4 weeks due to a special order and damaged product that had to be reordered. By July 15th we had the flooring and asked him to go ahead with the floor installation. He kept delaying so we were nervous about having him do the interior painting and gave the work to another painter on September 13th--the wallpaper stripping had been completed by a friend of mine so the new painter had to skim coat and paint the entire interior. We were still waiting for Josh to begin the exterior painting. We had the interior painting completed by Sept 20th by the other painter and asked Josh to get the flooring done but it was still being delayed. We finally gave him a final chance to being the exterior painting and he didn't show up so I asked the interior painter if he could fit us into his schedule and do the exterior. He said he would, then Josh showed up that same day on Sept 29th at 3:30 p.m. with equipment to begin the exterior power wash. I told him we had someone else lined up to do the exterior but he insisted that he could get it done and that he had a "crew" lined up to work that weekend, so I gave in and told him to begin. So he got the power washing done at 10:30 p.m. that night with exterior floodlights. The there was a chance of rain so it was delayed a couple days and a little more exterior prep work and taping was completed. Then it rained for a whole week. Then he had to go on vacation for a week. Then he couldn't find a worker to help him with the trim. At the same time, he began working a day job a furniture company so he wouldn't get to our house until 5:00 or 6:00 p.m. and only have a few hours to work before night. Then it started getting really cold--down to 40 degrees. He finally finished most of the exterior painting on Oct 29th and began working on laying the flooring. He got about 90% of the work done and we had our first open house on November 5th, about 2 months late. Then I began texting Josh to finish the trim work on the floor which would have only taken a professional an hour to finish, and I wanted him to paint the downspout he had missed, clean the paint overspray off of the exterior light fixtures, clean the spilled paint off of the brick sidewalk, and remove and clean up the paint buckets, brushed, and other stuff that was left on the garage floor. He would not respond to my text messages. The sad thing is that I really like Josh a lot--he was a nice guy and I think he could do outstanding work, but he took on too much when he started working the full time day job. What is the most upsetting is that I gave him the opportunity to back out of the exterior paint job since my interior painter said he could get the job done, but Josh was insistent that he could do it and was upset that I had hired someone else. He should have gladly turned over the work to the other painter. This whole process was a nightmare for me--I was extremely stressed about getting the work done before the weather turned and the leaves fell off of the shrubs and trees because we were selling the house. I had also given him 50% down. When he finished the exterior painting (kinda) he asked for the other 50% which I gave him--my mistake! I should have held back some money until he finished the floor trim and painting cleanup, etc. But the very last straw was when he wouldn't even respond to my last five text messages. I had been so patient with him, never got angry with his delays, etc. and in fairness to Josh, he agreed to put the quarter round down for free due to the long delays in getting the house painted which I appreciated. However, he should have at least had the courtesy to answer my messages and finish the last few items of work. I feel like I was taken advantage of because I am a "nice guy" and didn't yell and get angry. We got five estimates for the exterior painting and they were all from professionals (rather than cut rate budget painters) and we could have chosen any one of them--I chose Josh because I liked him and he seemed to know what he was talking about. Bottom line--I should have used a painter referred by someone I knew personally instead of relying on the Angie's List recommended painter. This was a BIG lesson learned the hard way. By the way, our house is still for sale as of January 3rd. Obviously houses don't sell in Omaha in the winter so now we will have to pay the holding costs until this spring and I have to blame a large part of that on Josh's mishandling of this big job--it was just too big for one man to do single-handedly when he is also working another full time job.