Barney Popcorn Ceiling Removal

Get quotes from professionals in your area!

Angie's List : Local Reviews : Handymen : GA : Barney : Barney Handyman Services : Barney Popcorn Ceiling Removal
Business Description: 15% discounts for seniors, payment upon completion of job .
Recent Review: Chris is very competent and punctual. Installed nobs/pulls on kitchen and bathrm cabinets, mounted large clock in kitchen and heavy decorative tiles on lanai, installed 2 ceiling fans and under counter lights, power washed exterior of house and floor of lanai. All went smoothly.

Reviews in Barney to Remove Popcorn Ceiling

AAnytime Handyman
On 21 Jan 12, I contacted Bill Casey ( and he quoted me $55.00 to remove an old ceiling fan and install a new one. The work was to be done on 23 Jan 12 at 0945. Bill and his helper arrived exactly on time and they began working immediately. The work took about one hour. They were very careful and definitely knew what they were doing. They removed the old fan, packaging, and tools leaving the work area (master bedroom) immaculate. The remotely controlled fan and light worked perfectly. NOTE: Despite only having only one previous review, Bill said he had over 600 customers in this area (including many military personnel). I recommend prospective customers check out his web page for examples of the kinds of work he will do (just about anything).
- Daniel B....
When Dan showed up the first day, he did not waste any time getting right to work.  He started in the Bathroom putting tile over the bathtub.  Once he got the outside of the front plate of the tub done, he immediately moved to the ceiling fan on the porch to give the putty time to dry behind the tile.  After an expedient install of the ceiling fan, he returned to the tile and attempted to work with it to get it to look better (All the while, telling himself it wasn't looking good).  He finally gave up on the tile and suggested that I go with wood.  I did agree with him that the tile was not working and that wood would probably be a better cover.  He said he would return later that day with the supplies to get it finished.  (While he is gone) I got to thinking that it is a bathroom, going on a bathtub with a lot of water being splashed around by the grandkids.  Dan returned with the wood as he said and I stopped him at his truck and told him that I was thinking about it and decided that wood was not the best cover to use for this project.  He simply said okay, what would you like to use?  I told him about my concerns with the amount of water that would be (from time to time) spilling over the side of the tub.  He attempted to assure me that treating the wood, sealing it would prevent anything from happening.  I did not feel right about it and insisted that we come up with a different solution to this problem.  Dan suggested a material that was flexible and water resistant (I cannot remember the name of it or I would say).  I agreed with the suggestion and Dan said he would pick it up in the morning and be by to install it.  Dan showed up with the material he suggested and I took a look at it.  I told him to install it.  It took some work from Dan and I to get this material installed.  Not that he could not do it; just took two people to get it done.  And I didn't mind helping as it gave me something to do for the day. After Dan finished with the tub, he went to the porch door and hung new hinges and brackets because the door was dragging when it closed (if it closed at all) at no extra charge for labor, just parts.                 We did not have Dan install the floor as we originally wanted.  The price was not good for us and we would have to save a few more pennies to get it done.  But, when that day comes, you can bet I will be calling Dan out to install the flooring as well.
- Joseph K....
Went straight to Angies list to find someone in my area that did the type of work needed. Found Dan Gauthier, Quality Home Repairs, gave him a call, no lie, within 2 days from estimate to repair, done! The job is well done and now we have Dan on speed dial for all our home repair needs.
- Cynthia J....
On 26 Oct 11, I contacted Dan Gauthier, owner "Quality Home Repairs", while he was doing lawn work at my neighbor's house as I had observed advertising for home repairs on his truck. Although he wouldn't approach me until I put out my cigarette, he was polite and seemed very accommodating ("We work from early morning until late in the afternoon, seven days a week." "I won't leave your job to work on anything else until your work is completed."). He strongly recommended I check out his ratings on Angie's List and consider his 30 some odd years of experience. I asked for a written estimate, which he delivered that evening (materials: $858, labor $1200 less 5% for cash payment - material costs to be paid in advance and balance upon completion). Dan advised that if he didn't complete the job Sunday, 30 Oct 11, "by the time the Cowboys game comes on" he would finish it off on the morning of 31 Oct 11. I signed the contract which bears the preprinted statement, "All work to be performed in a timely and orderly manner, clean work habits." On 27 Oct 11, Dan shopped for the supplies. On 28 Oct 11 ( Day 1), Dan and "Donald" (painter/helper) arrived for work at about 0800 hours. The job started off well enough with the removal of the swinging doors and by noon they had installed the lower half of the insulation. However, work had to be delayed while my wife was dispatched to Lowe's to return the remain insulation and purchase the correct size for the ceiling (walls were 16" on center - ceiling was 24" on center). Following her return, installation of the insulation continued and they installed the bottom row of drywall (about 3.5 sheets). Dan apparently did not have a chalk line and/or extended straight edge, so he made all drywall cuts freehand. Work ended at about 1530 hours. On 29 Oct 11 ( Day 2), work commenced at about 0800. Dan continued to cut, freehand, most of the remaining drywall. When my wife and I expressed concern over the large gaps and inconsistencies in the drywall joints, Dan assured us that after Donald finished mudding and taping, the gaps would be perfected. The exterior trim boards were installed around the base of the building; however, Dan cut the left side board about 8" too short (toward the front) and "patched" it with an 8" piece joined butt-to-butt (vice a mitered joint). Work ended at about 1430. On 30 Oct 11 ( Day 3), work commenced at about 1000. Dan installed a 2" X 4" door frame - to the exact size of the sliding door - leaving no space for required shims.  Donald began mudding the drywall seams and Dan departed for the day. Donald worked until approximately 1600. On 31 Oct 11 ( Day 4), Dan and Donald arrived at approximately 0830. Donald began sanding the drywall joints and Dan installed the sliding glass doors.  Unfortunately, it was impossible to adjust the doors to make them plumb across the width of the door guides because the door frame wasn't square. NOTE: On 5 Nov 11, after Dan's final departure, I readjusted the door so that it was plumb when closed. At about 1200, Dan departed and left Donald to re-mud all of the drywall joints. Dan returned a couple of times that afternoon with his fiancee, Kathy, to check on Donald's progress. Donald departed at about 1500. (NOTE: Prior to his departure, Dan asked my wife if he could get his check so he could "pay my rent." Payment was not rendered at this time per the conditions of the contract.)   On 1 Nov 11 ( Day 5), Dan arrived at about 0830 (Donald had taken his vehicle to a repair shop and was waiting for the work to be completed before he was to return to work). Dan lamented that he couldn't continue to work until Donald had finished the mudding and taping. I suggested he could repair the windows in the meantime; however, he declined to do that work at this time. I suggested he could stain the interior trim moldings prior to installation and Dan opted to take them home to stain them while he watched TV. He departed for home at about 0930 with the moldings. At about 1200, I called Dan to inquire about Donald's status and he said Donald was still waiting for his vehicle. I called Dan again at about 1530 and he said neither he nor Donald would be back today. On 2 Nov 11 ( Day 6), Dan, Donald, and Kathy arrived at about 0800. Dan expressed his displeasure that I had called him twice the previous day. Donald went to work sanding drywall joints. I noted that some of the cut outs in the drywall around the electrical outlets looked too large to be covered by the wall plates. Dan said Donald would "fill" those cut outs that were too large with mud. (NOTE: The cut out for the 220v outlet was so large that we had to purchase a 6" X 9" oversized wall plate to cover the hole.) Dan said he hadn't yet stained the trim moldings. My wife and Kathy offered to stain the moldings to expedite the remaining work, so Dan went home to retrieve the trim moldings and returned in about 45 minutes. In the meantime, I mentioned to Kathy that this was the sixth day of work and she nodded. When Dan returned with the moldings, my wife and Kathy began staining them. I reminded Dan that the windows still needed repair and so a short time later, he made the 15 minute repairs. Dan remained at the work site checking on Donald's progress as he began applying drywall tape and the third and "final" coat of mud. In addition he "supervised" the staining of the moldings. Around 1430, the moldings were stained and drying. Donald continued applying the tape and "last" coat of mud to the drywall joints. Dan and Kathy loaded up the debris and departed at this time. Later, during a break, Donald confided that this was the first time he had applied mud to drywall, emphasizing that his expertise was as a painter. Donald continued to work until about 1730.  NOTE: A total of about 12 pounds of drywall mud mix was used to patch seven (7) sheets of drywall. On 3 Nov 11 ( Day 7), work began at about 0800. Donald started painting the interior walls and ceiling. As Donald was painting, much of the tape began to come off of the walls. Part of the reason for this was that the previous three coats of mud were by now so thick (due to the amateurish application of the drywall and subsequent large and inconsistent joints) that it never had an adequate period to dry. Dan and Donald did their best to improve the joint work; however, by now nothing could be done to make any of the joints anything close to smooth, indistinguishable, much less "perfect." Despite this, Dan told me not to worry because, "perfection takes time." He then reassured me that  all of the imperfections would be covered by trim moldings. Donald did a good job painting the interior walls, ceiling, and exterior trim. After lunch, Dan asked to use my DeWalt radial arm saw so he could begin the installation of the interior trim. After I brought it out he began cutting and putting up the trim. For the most part, this work went smoothly and quickly; however, despite my specific request that ALL interior joints be mitered and/or joined at a 45 degree angle (as appropriate), Dan responded that that "wasn't the way I (he) install interior trim", as HE preferred to use butt joints. Despite my insistence, he refused to cut these joints to my specifications. NOTE: At this point I considered terminating the contract; however, upon a moment's reflection, I opted not to do this as the job was very close to completion. A 2" X 4" board was installed at the apex of the ceiling to not only cover the one inch gap in the drywall, but also to as a solid surface for mounting the 4' florescent light. Dan installed the overhead light, linoleum flooring (without pre-sealing with Thompson's Water Sealant), and baseboard.  NOTE: Prior to the installation of the linoleum, I suggested that it might be easier to place about 2.5 sheets of 1/2" plywood down first (not included in the contract) so as to avoid the tedious work of scrubbing the existing plywood floor free of accumulated dirt and dust allowing for a proper surface upon which to apply the Thompson's (included in the contract). Dan said if I wanted that done, I'd have to do it myself. Dan installed the pre-primed baseboard (NOTE: Dan neglected to ask Donald to paint the baseboard so my wife painted it the following Sunday.) Work ended at about 1600. On 4 Nov 11 ( Day 8), I immediately noticed that the stained 2" X 4" to which the florescent light had been mounted had fallen off of the ceiling and was hanging by a couple of screws at one end. At about 0930, I called Dan to tell him the news. He said Kathy was en route to pick him up from an auto repair shop and would arrive shortly to repair it and do a final inspection of the job. Around 0830, Donald arrived, did some touch up painting and departed. At 1230, I again called Dan as he had not arrived. He said Kathy was at a job interview and he didn't know for sure when she would be able to pick him up and that there was no need to call him again. He finally arrived at about 1530, and sarcastically said, "you like to push numbers" (implying his displeasure that I had called him twice that day and that he might "change his number." Eventually, he reattached the fallen end of the 2" X 4". Due to the weight of the overhead light and wood, a bow immediately developed between the ends of the board. I requested Dan install a few more screws to secure the wood to the ceiling. He said he didn't have any more screws of that length and would have to go get them. I gave him the check for the balance of the contract (labor charge) and he left at about 1600. On 5 Nov 11 ( Day 9), Dan arrived about 1030 with one 6" screw. I told him that I would prefer not to use screws that couldn't be countersunk. Dan departed forthwith and did not return. (NOTE: Later that day I obtained appropriate hardware and secured the  board; my wife applied a decorative wallpaper border on all 3 walls above the chair rail to cover the still visible flaws.)
- Daniel B....
First I would like to say that Dan originally wrote a report for me. This is the jobs he actually performed, and how they turned out.             Dan was working on the house next door, and I approched him to repair some boards on the outside of my home. He came the next to day to fix the boards. He replaced the boards, and upon intial inspection, I thought he had done a good job. He then told me he was in between jobs, and I asked if he was able to lay tile,a nd he offered to do it for a really good price.      The next day he started laying the tile, and everything seemed to be going well. Upon close insepection I began to notice that he had not put mud under some of the tiles, and that some were un-even. (they were different heights, some stood taller than others.) I brought to Dan's attention that there was no mud under some of the tiles, he blamed it on his helper and replaced 2 of the tiles. (There are still 4 tiles with no mud under them that he never fixed). He re-painted my laundry room, and installed a pre-purchased pantry. (He never did any shelving work or installed any cabinets for me....THIS IS A LIE!) The paint job in the laundry room is HORRIBLE! It has streaks and runs, it is very un-even. He got paint on the ceiling and painted the door hinges. He knocked a hole in my laundry room wall, that he said he would fix, instead he placed the pantry over it.      There are several boards outside that he did not fix (he was paid to fix these). I later moved a flower away from the front of my window frame above one of the boards he was relpacing. I had not put the flower there, and noticed my window frame had been torn off, and a reapir had been attempted. He placed one nail in the middle of it, and replaced some of the damaged wood from the frame with plastic pieces. He did not repaint the window or tell me he had damaged it. Dan was always asking for money up-front "to pay bills and this and that". He would say he would be back to fix everything, and never showed up after I began to express my displeasure with his work. I would NEVER hire him, or suggest him to anyone. He did more damage here than he did "repair work". I am not happy with my tile some peices are so high you stub your toe on them when you walk. I thought I was getting a good deal, but I am now having to spend twice as much money to have the mess he made repaired.
- Myra H....