What is the Home Star program?
Purpose: Reduce Americans' energy costs, improve the environment and create jobs by providing short-term incentives for residential energy-efficiency improvements.
- One-year rebate program for insulating, sealing ducts, or replacing water heaters, HVAC units, windows and doors.
- Silver Star accredited contractor must do installation.
- Rebates of $250-$1,500 per installation; received at point of sale.
- Maximum: $3,000 or 50% of total costs.
- Two-year program requiring whole-home energy audit, followed by performance-based retrofits.
- Gold Star accredited contractor must perform work.
- Home must be retested for energy efficiency after work is complete.
- Rebates of $3,000 for 20% energy savings, plus $1,000 for each additional 5% of savings.
- Maximum: 50% of project costs or $8,000.
Source: U.S. Senate Energy Committee and Building Performance Institute