What to do if you suspect H1N1 flu

What to do if you suspect H1N1 flu

The H1N1 symptoms are virtually the same as other seasonal-flu symptoms — such as a high fever, a cough, a sore throat and muscle aches. So when should you contact your physician? To find out, we spoke with two highly rated doctors.

Dr. Yuan-Po Tu, medical director of urgent care for The Everett Clinic in Washington, says people under 25 and pregnant women are the most vulnerable to swine flu complications.

"Any pregnant woman with flu-like symptoms should call their doctor immediately," he says. "They are at the highest risk."

Infants with high temperatures and children and young adults with underlying health issues, or who take medication that compromises their immune system, also should be seen by their doctor.

Tu adds that anyone who has flu-like symptoms and becomes severely dehydrated, experiences difficulty breathing or coughs up blood, must seek attention.

"If you have a fever for more than four days and it subsides then comes back, make sure to contact your health provider," he says. "You could have developed pneumonia."

Children and adults who are at high risk and possibly have H1N1 may be tested by their doctor for the virus.

"If your child has asthma, renal or heart disease, or is taking steroids, they should be tested," says Dr. Ellen S. Rome, head of adolescent medicine for the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.

If you aren't in the high-risk population or don't experience the severe symptoms mentioned above, Rome says it's best to just remain at home to prevent spreading the virus.

"Stay in bed, get plenty of sleep, get lots of fluids and take Tylenol or Motrin to get the fever down," she says.

Leave a Comment - 2


Urgent Care Medical Center


I think the best way if you suspect you have a swine flu is to go immediately to the doctor. Since it is very hard to identify swine flu to normal flu.



I had swine flu, two winters ago, and it was very ugly. I had zero energy and I needed steroids and codein just to breathe and sleep. I would say anyone who gets swine flu should go go to their doctor, also whooping cough is bad too, I just got over that one. the article is totally valid. I would just like to add that maybe taking a congestion clearing medicine like Muscinex Maximum strength would help. And if you have asthma get your shots for it.

View Comments - 2 Hide Comments

Post New Comment


What is Angie's List?

Angie’s List is the trusted site where more than 3 million households go to get ratings and reviews on everything from home repair to health care. Stop guessing when it comes to hiring! Check Angie’s List to find out who does the best work in town.

Local Discounts

Daily deals up to 70% off popular home improvement projects from top-rated contractors on Angie’s List!