Unique Valentine's Day Gifts | Angies List Tips
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and while chocolates, cards, and flowers are appreciated, get creative and tailor a gift especially for your loved one to really impress them.
- Hire a housecleaner. Whether it’s for a one-time cleaning or for service throughout the year make sure you meet the housecleaner in person. Ask about their rates and proof of insurance.
- Massage therapy. Massage can be a very personal service and one that your Valentine should feel comfortable with so interview a few massage therapist before you decide.
- Errand service. We all need a little help getting those tedious tasks done. Check to see what you’ll be paying for. Will you be charged for gas or mileage? Avoid giving out personal information, such as credit cards. Arrange for your service provider to pay for your goods with an alternate form of payment and/or bill you for these costs along with their service fees.
- Call in a chef: Skip the restuarant and have a romantic dinner at home. Hire a chef to make your sweetie's favorite meal. Talk with the chef about the menu and what you and your partner like and don't like.
- Tickets to a game or event: Talk to a ticket broker about getting great seats to your beloved's favorite team or concert.
- Dance lessons: Have fun with your sweetheart by giving the gift of dance.
- Home theater/stereo system: Create a high-tech entertainment system for the nights you want to stay in.
- For the athlete: Search Angie's List for billiard tables, bike shops, basketball goals and fitness centers.
- Interior design: Call in the pros to design a special space for the two of you!
Keep these buying tips in mind:
- Check reviews. Before hiring any of the above, check reviews on Angie's List.
- Research your options and plan ahead. This is a busy time of year, so make your dinner or weekend getaway reservation in advance. Those who shop around early will likely have more options, and more time to comparison shop.
- Find out your options and price ranges so that you know what to expect when you hit the stores, and even know where to go first to get the best deal – which could be taking advantage of online deals.
- Know what you’re looking for. Don’t wait for the fabulous gift to simply appear. Narrowing down your idea list will save you time and money. Before you hit the stores, go on the Internet for some inspiration to narrow down your ideas.