Top 5 questions to ask a Boston roofing contractor
Two Boston-area roofing contractors say extreme New England weather, poor workmanship and age are to blame for the most common repairs they perform on residential roofs.
“We get most of our calls about replacing chimney flashing and shingles that have blown off,” says Mike Cortner, owner of highly rated Express Roofing in Westford, Mass.
David Arrowsmith, construction supervisor of highly rated Capital Construction in South Boston, says minor ceiling discoloration is a sure sign of a roof leak, in which case you should immediately call a professional.
To ensure these and other repairs go as smoothly as possible, Cortner and Arrowsmith recommend asking these questions before hiring a roofer:
- Can you provide proof of your state license and liability and workman's compensation insurance?
- Do you have a list of references from roofing customers in my area?
- How much of a down payment will you charge for my roofing job?
- How long the job will take, and what should I expect if the weather gets bad?
- How should I prepare my home before you start working?