The top 5 questions about menopause
Menopause affects women typically between ages 45 and 55, but in very different ways.
“Often the first thing they’ll notice are hot flashes,” says Dr. Sara Pierce, an OB-GYN at highly rated Clearvista Women’s Care in Indianapolis. But she stresses symptoms are highly variable, ranging from night sweats to mood swings, and can begin years before menopause occurs.
Dr. Jeffrey Meltzer, a highly rated OB-GYN with American Health Network Carmel OB/GYN in Carmel, Ind., advises making an appointment to discuss menopause and symptom management with your doctor: “The earlier, the better,” Meltzer says. Some questions to ask:
• Are the symptoms I’m experiencing normal?
• How does going through menopause affect my overall health?
• What kind of treatment is right for my symptoms and what are the risks?
• For hormone replacement, what factors determine how long I should stay on hormones?
• Do you recommend any natural treatment options or lifestyle changes?
Visit Angie’s List to find a highly rated OB-GYN in Indianapolis.