Tips for selecting the right Chicago dentist
As the home of the American Dental Association, the Academy of General Dentistry, the American College of Prosthodontics and the American Academy of Periodontology, there’s no shortage of dental professionals in the Chicago area.
The Windy City offers several types of professionals from general dentists to highly skilled surgeons. In order to receive the best care, it’s important to select the right dentist for the job.
- General dentist: These professionals provide examinations, X-rays, cleanings and other basic services.
- Periodontist: They specialize in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of gum disease, and in the placement of dental implants, taking into consideration the effects of various conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes and pregnancy.
- Orthodontist: These dental professionals specialize in straightening teeth.
- Prosthodontist: These dentists restore appearance and function following tooth loss or injury through dentures, dental implants, veneers, crowns and teeth whitening.
- Pediatric dentist: With offices located throughout Chicago and its suburbs, these dental professionals specialize in the oral care of infants and children. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that children be seen as soon as their first tooth appears and no later than their first birthday.
- Endodontist: These specialists deal with tooth pulp and the tissues surrounding the root of a tooth. They are commonly known for forming root canals.
The best way to select a high quality dentist is to choose one with a proven track record. There are currently more than 2,400 highly rated dentists on Angie’s List in the Chicago area.