Tips to ensure you'll always get your rest
A late night or two isn't going to kill you, but a sleep-deprived lifestyle could. To get a restful sleep every night, follow these tips:
- Get out of bed if you don't fall asleep within 20 minutes. Don't lay there stressing about it. Get up and do something relaxing and lie down when you're sleepy.
- Reserve the bed for sleep and sex only — no work or TV.
- Wear socks to bed if you've got poor circulation — such as cold feet. Warming your toes may help induce sleep.
- Try to take fewer pills. Many medications disrupt sleep, such as antidepressants that can cause limb jerking, so talk to your doctor about side effects.
- Exercise regularly to fall asleep faster, but don't do it within three hours of bedtime.