Tips on designing your in-law quarters
Consider these tips when designing your in-law quarters:
- Check your local zoning requirements. Some areas restrict second buildings on one property or expansion of current dwellings.
- Incorporate universal design, such as handicap accessibility.
- Create an outside entrance.
- Consider an elevator if there are multiple levels.
- Include an intercom system.
- Decide on a separate kitchen or communal dining with the family.
- Work out a driveway arrangement so cars aren't blocking each other.