Tips to avoid septic backup in your Chicago home
Toilets were designed to dispose of waste, but that doesn’t mean you can flush anything down the pipes. Here is a list of items that have been known to create problems for homeowners in the Chicago area.
- Natural items - grease, sand, ashes, mud, feathers or grit.
- Manmade items - pantyhose, elastic bands, disposable sanitary items or diapers, disposable or flushable wipes, Q-Tips or condoms.
- Garbage - Some things are better disposed of in garbage bags, including items that have not been properly ground or shredded by an approved garbage grinder.
- Petroleum products - paint thinner, kerosene or gasoline, fuel oil, flammable or explosive liquids.
- Acids - pickling wastes or concentrated plating solutions.
- Contaminated water - water containing excessive amounts of iron, chromium, copper or zinc.