Things to Do in Indy - January 2015
The New Year heralds a fresh start and a nice crop of fun, midwinter activities to beat cabin fever. Here’s what Indy offers this January.
Featured Event: Indianapolis Home Show
Since 1922, the Indianapolis Home Show has offered homeowners tips for home improvement, remodeling and decorating. So naturally, Angie’s List will be there. Stop by and check out our new features, including our handy new app along with deals and special promotions. You can get a basic annual membership for as low as $6.99 and a Plus or Premium membership for half off. TV home-improvement expert Ty Pennington will make an appearance, and Fischer Homes of Cincinnati will design and build a home in the Exposition Hall.
- When: Jan. 23 through Feb. 1
- Where: Indiana State Fairgrounds, 1202 E. 38th St.
- Prices: adults – $14 ($2 off online); children ages 6-12 – $3; children ages 5 and younger – free
- More information: indianapolishomeshow.com
Georgia O’Keeffe and the Southwestern Still Life
If winter has you searching for the beauty of warmer climes, draw inspiration from the Southwest with an exhibit of more than 50 works of still life.
- When: through Feb. 15, closed Mondays and New Year’s Day
- Where: Indianapolis Museum of Art, 4000 Michigan Road
- Prices: IMA members – free; adults (Friday through Sunday) – $20; adults (Tuesday through Thursday) – $15; children ages 7-17 – $12; Children 7 and younger – free
- More information: imamuseum.org
Have you checked out Indy’s newest sports team? The Indy Fuel play in the East Coast Hockey League as an affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks. Best yet, they’re in the beautifully remodeled Coliseum.
- When: Home games: Jan. 2, 3, 9, 23, 24, 28, 30 and 31
- Where: Indiana Farmers Coliseum, 1202 E. 38th St.
- More information: indyfuelhockey.com
Indy Winter Farmers Market
Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean the farmers market goes into hibernation. Spend your Saturday morning perusing 40 vendors for eggs, herbs, produce and baked goods in the west wing of the City Market.
- When: Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Where: The Platform at Indianapolis City Market, 202 E. Market St.
- More information: indywinterfarmersmarket.org
'Good People' and 'The Giver'
The Indiana Repertory Theatre presents two stage offerings for the New Year. First up, check out “Good People” from Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright David Lindsay-Abaire. Next, see the stage adaptation of “The Giver,” Lois Lowry’s 1993 Newberry Award-winning novel.
- When: "Good People" - Jan. 7 through Feb. 1; "The Giver" - Jan. 23 through Feb. 21
- Where: Indiana Repertory Theatre, 140 W. Washington St.
- Prices: "Good People" – $25-$59; "The Giver" - $25-$47; students – $20; Angie’s List members can get $5 off per ticket when they use the code ANGIE.
- More information: irtlive.com
JAMfest Cheer Super Nationals
Ready? OK! Get ready to bring it on at this national cheerleading competition. Indy has hosted JAMfest since 1999 with more than 500 teams from across the country.
- When: Jan. 16-18
- Where: Indiana Convention Center, 100 S. Capitol Ave.
- Prices: $15 per day or $25 for the weekend
- More information: jamfestcheersupernationals.com
Bop to the Top
How fast can you ascend 36 floors up a stairwell? Climb 780 steps straight to the top of Indy’s second tallest building in this fundraiser for Riley Hospital for Children.
- When: Jan. 17
- Where: OneAmerica Tower, 200 N. Illinois St.
- More information: tuxbro.com
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration
Celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as the State Museum programs events to commemorate the life of the fallen civil rights leader.
- When: Jan. 19
- Where: Indiana State Museum, 650 W. Washington St.
- Prices: free admission when you bring a canned good for Gleaners Food Bank
- More information: indianamuseum.org
Franklin Neighborhood Celebration
Join Angie’s List as we celebrate our featured neighborhood of Franklin. Angie’s List will be on hand for the skit, cartoon and the feature "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan."
- When: Fri., Jan. 23, 6:30 p.m.
- Where: The Historic Artcraft Theatre, 57 N. Main St., Franklin
- Prices: adults – $5; students, military and seniors – $4; children 12 and younger – $3
- More information: historicartcrafttheatre.org
Brewers of Indiana Guild Winterfest
Sample 200 selections of suds from an ever-burgeoning number of breweries (more than 80!) from all around the state. They’ll have porters, stouts and the ever-popular India pale ales to taste and savor.
- When: Jan. 31
- Where: Marsh Blue Ribbon Pavilion, Indiana State Fairgrounds, 1202 E. 38th St.
- Prices: $40; early entry $60; designated driver $10
- More information: drinkin.beer