Things to Do in Indy - December 2014
The first holiday ad started before Halloween, and Christmas music will run unabated until Boxing Day. Still, like good ol' Charlie Brown, you can find the true meaning of the season to make your spirits bright. We've made our list and checked it twice for fun things to do in December.
Featured Event: 'A Christmas Carol'
For 19 seasons, Charles Dickens’ holiday ghost story at the Indiana Repertory Theatre has cemented itself as a solid Indianapolis holiday tradition.
“We liken it to reading aloud a favorite holiday book, or trimming the tree, or baking cookies, or caroling: a yearly act without which the holidays simply wouldn’t mean as much,” says Janet Allen, executive artistic director for the IRT.
This year, Ryan Artzberger treads the boards as the skinflint Scrooge, and Courtney Sale directs the classic for the first time.
- When: through Dec. 26.
- Where: IRT, 140 W. Washington St.
- Prices: Adults – $30 to $67; Students – $15 to $30; Angie’s List members can get $5 off per ticket when they use the code ANGIE.
- More information: irtlive.com
Holidays on the Prairie
Among the many holiday offerings at this Smithsonian-affiliated interactive history park, be sure to experience Christmas eve and Hanukkah as it was in 1936 on the candlelight tour.
- When: throughout December
- Where: Conner Prairie, 13400 Allisonville Road, Fishers
- More information: connerprairie.org
Christmas at the Zoo
In 1967, Indy had the first zoo in the country to stage a holiday lights event. Bring the family for a unique holiday event with the animals, including that holiday light display, carolers and a visit from Santa in White River Gardens.
- When: through Jan. 4, 2015, from 5 to 9 p.m.
- Where: Indianapolis Zoo, 1200 W. Washington St.
- Price: Included with regular admission
- More information: indianapoliszoo.com
Paul Busse and his company, Applied Imagination, have created replicas of Indy’s downtown landmarks and scenery from the West and National Parks for seven model trains to chug through 1,200 feet of track.
- When: through Jan. 19, 2015
- Where: Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians & Western Art, 500 W. Washington St.
- More information: eiteljorg.org
Free Family Night
The largest children’s museum opens its doors for a Jolly Days Celebration where your kids can romp, explore or ride the Yule Slides for free.
- When: Dec. 4, 4 to 8 p.m.
- Where: The Children's Museum of Indianapolis, 3000 N. Meridian St.
- More information: childrensmuseum.org
Carmel Clay Historical Society Holiday Home Tour
Explore the interesting history behind some area homes. The 18th annual tour will begin at Coxhall Mansion, a Victorian home built in 1865 by one of Hamilton County's earliest settlers.
- When: Dec. 5 and 6
- Where: Coxhall Mansion, 2000 W. 116th St., Carmel
- More information: carmelclayhistory.org
A First Friday tradition, Primary Colours invites local visual artists to create artworks by interpreting the theme of “toys” in innovative and interesting ways during its 12th exhibition.
- When: Opening Reception – Friday, Dec. 5 from 6 to 10 p.m.
- Where: Murphy Building, 1043 Virginia Ave., Ste. 217
- More information: primarycolours.org
Carol of Homes Holiday Home Tour
In this third annual event, the Zionsville Community High School’s Show Choirs greet visitors on tours of six area homes with favorite holiday tunes.
- When: Dec. 6 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Where: throughout Zionsville
- Price: $20
- More information: zchoirs.com
Broad Ripple Lights Up!
This lively neighborhood presents its annual festival that features a Kids’ Wonderland activity village, live entertainment, a twilight holiday parade, a visit from Santa and a 21-foot tree at Indianapolis Fire Department Station 32.
- When: Dec. 14, 3 to 7 p.m.
- Where: Fire Station #32, 6330 Guilford Ave.
- More information: brva.org
Santa Hustle Indianapolis 5K and Half Marathon
Run, run, Rudolf in this fun 5K and half marathon benefitting Toys for Tots. Each racer receives a sweatshirt along with a Santa hat and beard.
- When: Dec. 21
- Where: White River State Park
- Prices: 5K Run/Walk – $45.00 (through Dec. 6), $50.00 (Dec.7 through Dec. 19); Half Marathon – $60.00 (through Dec.6), $65.00 (Dec.7 through Dec. 19)
- More information: santahustle.com/Indianapolis
New Year’s Eve on Georgia Street
Downtown Indy ushers in the new year with a free, all-ages celebration including live bands, electronic dance music and a suspended IndyCar descends as the crowd counts down to midnight.
- When: Dec. 31, starting at 5 p.m.
- Where: East block of Georgia Street
- More information: georgiastreetindy.com