Remodel, Stress | Angies List Tips
Every remodeling project is challenging and couples often find themselves arguing about money, expectations and mistakes.
Before your contractor starts the remodel, talk in great detail about the project and how it will affect the rest of the house - and your day to day lives. Good communication is key.
- Develop a budget. Remember that even the most careful budget will change. Discuss what your options are if your remodel project appears to cost more than you planned.
- Make decisions together. Before you begin talking with contractors, pick up remodeling magazines. Search the Internet for information on designs and materials, and then put your ideas on paper.
- Do your homework. Ask for references from contractors. Don’t just hire based on a conversation. Check the performance record of the contractor you plan to hire on Angie’s List.
- Communication is key. Talk about your expectations with your partner. Discuss how you will make decisions that will involve different tastes and viewpoints.
- Prepare for the disruption. The noise and dirt of a project will likely disrupt your daily routine. Talk with your contractor about the areas of your home that are off limits, and agree on the hours the crew will actually be onsite.