Project ideas best left to an electrician
Your home is in need of several electrical repairs, but you aren’t sure whether to take on the projects yourself or hire a licensed electrician?
The obvious answer if you’re a do-it-yourself type of person is to jump right in and tackle the projects. However, electrical work is complicated and anyone without proper training is at risk of causing serious injury or starting a fire.
Here are six projects that would be best left to a licensed electrician:
- Fuse system replacement. Protect your home by replacing that dangerous screw-in fuse box with a more modern flip-switch system.
- Ground fault safety installation. Many older homes were built without ground fault circuit interrupters near the water sources in kitchen and bathrooms.
- Violation correction. Even with relatively modern wiring, there may be code violations that need to be corrected, especially if you just bought an existing home that hasn't been recently updated and/or issues were detected by an inspector.
- Power backup systems. Some areas still have somewhat unreliable electrical service, especially during storms. It may be worth your worth it to have a backup generator and system installed.
- Green home conversion. Maybe you feel it’s time to reduce your reliance on the grid and want to install supplementary electrical systems like solar panels and a backyard windmill.
- Security lighting. You want to keep your family and your home safe by installing flood lights at strategic points on your property.
Sign in to Angie's List to read trusted consumer reviews on highly rated electricians.