Prepare your home for winter weather
Submitted by JG Development. Inc.
Here is a checklist of things to help you get your home ready for winter:
1. Roof: A quick roof inspection can tell you if you have damage that could cause serious problems during the winter weather. Replace any cracked or damaged shingles or roofing pieces.
2. Gutters: Clean your gutters and downspouts. Leaves can hold water, which in turn becomes ice, and can pull down your entire gutter system and sometimes parts of your roof. Make sure all drainage is unblocked.
3. Weather stripping: Fill the gaps around doors and windows so that your heating system warms your home, not your neighborhood.
4. Caulk: Caulk around your windows to help keep the heat from escaping. While you're at it, have someone inspect the integrity of your windows. If they are more than 25 years old, it's likely time for new ones.
5. Furnace filter: Keep in mind you should change your furnace filter every month to keep your system clean. It’s recommended to purchase a reusable filter that you can wash and reuse. Also take the time to clean heating ducts, registers as well as humidifiers to make sure the air circulating in your home is clean.
6. Fireplace maintenance: Clean and sweep your fireplace and chimney. Inspect the chimney for damage around the edges, and check the flue for obstructions such as birds’ nests.
7. Smoke, fire alarm and carbon monoxide detectors: Do you have an adequate number of smoke and fire alarms in your home? Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Carbon monoxide cannot be detected by sight or smell as it is colorless and odorless. Make sure to have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home. Also, replace batteries throughout your home in your existing alarms/detectors.
Now is the time to do some basic maintenance procedures, your home will last longer, provide better insulation in winter, and provide for low-maintenance solutions later on.
Founded in 1990 by Jeff Grundahl, JG Development, Inc., is a nationally recognized Design-Materials-Build firm. JG Development builds custom homes and completes remodeling, restoration and commercial projects with a focus on quality, craftsmanship, innovation and exemplary customer services.
As of Sept. 16, 2011, this service provider was highly rated on Angie’s List. Ratings are subject to change based on consumer feedback, so check AngiesList.com for the most up-to-date reviews. The views expressed by this author do not necessarily reflect those of Angie’s List.