Keep your pet safe from toxic plants
Need a new house plant to spruce up your space? Before buying the perfect one, keep your pet in mind — that new plant could be poisonous to your cat or dog.
Here are a few things every good pet owner should know.
What plants are toxic?
Lilies, sago palms, tulips, azaleas, oleanders, castro beans, cyclamen, kalanchoe, yew, amaryllis, autumn crocus, chrysanthemum, English ivy, pathos and schefflera are all harmful to cats and dogs if ingested. For a complete list of poisonous plants, visit the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals website.
What should I do if my pet ingests a poisonous plant?
Dr. Theresa Luley of Indianapolis, a highly rated vet on Angie’s List, says it’s first important to know what kind of plant your pet actually ate. If possible, bring a sample of the plant if you have to make that emergency visit.
Your veterinarian will know what toxic chemicals are present or have a guide on hand to identify the plant. If you cannot get a hold of your vet, you can also call the ASPCA 24-hour emergency poison hotline at 1-888-426-4435.
How do I keep my pet from eating a poisonous plant?
Dr. Luley suggest that pet owners put plants in baskets higher than the pet can reach. Cats are particularly nimble, so be sure that the pot is high enough that they can not jump or climb to the plant. Pet owners may also want to consider using a heavy pot so pets won’t be able to knock the plant over.