Infographic: A guide for budgeting indoor home maintenance
Can't read this graphic? Here below is the text-only version:
The Angie’s List Guide to Indoor Home Maintenance Costs
To any homeowner, home maintenance is an important priority to keeping a house up to date and functional. But, home maintenance can be expensive. That’s why we’ve gathered the average cost of home maintenance projects so you can plan out your projects on a budget.
1. Window Replacement
Average cost of window replacement: between $300 and $1,000 per window
Types of windows:
- Vinyl - $300 to $400 per window
- High Impact - $750 to $1,000 per window
Pro tip: Avoid “today only” quotes. Get multiple bids before you buy.
2. Water Heater Installation or Replacement
Average cost of water heater replacement: between $2,800 and $4,500
Types of water heaters:
- Tank - $1,000 to $2,000
- Tankless - $3,000 to $4,000
Pro tip: Talk to companies about new systems that could increase energy efficiency.
Water heater maintenance:
- Drain a quart of water from the tank every 3 months
- Have a plumber perform a full inspection and routine maintenance every couple years
- Lower your water heater base temperature to 120 degrees
3. A/C Unit Replacement and Installation
Average cost of replacement and installation: between $3,000 and $10,000
Average cost of repairing R-22 leak: $300 per refill
Average cost of R-410A system: between $3,500 and $4,500
Average cost of air duct cleaning: between $300 and $500
R-22 is the refrigerant used in most air conditioners manufactured before 2010. It’s expected to phase out by 2015.
R-410A is a non-ozone depleting refrigerant that is environmentally friendly and energy efficient, which experts recommend to homeowners.
Pro tip: Paying more upfront will save you money in the long-run.
- Do a yearly spring checkup of your A/C system - $70 to $100
- Change the filters on your system 4 times a year
4. Furnace Replacement & Installation
Average cost of furnace replacement: between $1,700 and $6,000
Average cost of installation: between $1,000 and $2,000
Types of furnaces:
- Basic gas furnace - $1,700 to $4,500
- High-efficiency gas furnaces - $2,500 to $6,000
Pro tip: Make sure to calculate a good warranty and possibly an ongoing service agreement into your furnace costs.
- Conduct regular furnace maintenance
- Pair your A/C unit with your furnace to increase efficiency
5. Bathroom Remodeling
Average cost of a bathroom remodel: between $10,000 to $40,000
Pro tip: Make sure the types, brands, and models of the materials or appliances are spelled out in the contract with the contractor.
Bathroom remodel considerations:
- Tile - between $3.50 and $10 per foot
- Cabinets - between $2,000 and $4,000 per foot
- Showers - between $600 and $5,000
- Toilet install - between $125 and $260
- Bathtubs - between $200 and $2,000
- Sinks - between $100 and $1,700
6. Countertop Replacement
Average cost of countertop replacement: between $10 and $150 per square foot
Types of countertops:
- Laminate - $1 to $30 per square foot
- Engineered quartz - $35 to $39
- Recycled glass - $51 to $113.25
- Granite - $70 to $150 per square foot
Pro tip: Ensure that the contractor you choose has solid experience with the material of your choice.
7. Basement Remodel
Average cost of basement remodel: $28,000 (Angie’s List member reviews)
Average cost of waterproofing your basement: between $2,000 and $20,000
Pro tip: Determine whether the space needs to be professionally waterproofed before you spend the money to renovate it.
Basement remodel ideas:
- Entertainment area
- Wet bar
- Extra bedroom and bathroom
- Kid’s play room
- Crafts area