Indianapolis historic home still stands in Woodruff Place
Residence of Charles E. Test
Finished in 1895, the home of Charles E. Test at 795 Middle Drive in Woodruff Place still stands today. Featuring a caretaker's cottage, a carriage house, three finished stories, oak flooring, stamped wainscoting, and leaded stained-glass windows, the home was a prime example of Woodruff Place's early opulence.
When the home was first built, Test was the president of the Indianapolis Chain Stamping Company, one of the first domestic manufacturers of bicycle chains, which eventually became the modern-day Diamond Chain Company.
In 1899, he sold his share of that company and went on to preside over the National Motor Vehicle Company, one of Indianapolis' many automobile manufacturers of the era.
National first produced electrically driven vehicles before switching over to internal combustion engines in 1903.
In 1912, two years after Test's death, Joe Dawson won the Indy 500 driving a National race car.
Special thanks to Charles Neill, the home's current owner, for his hospitality and contribution to this month's Ghosts.