How to get upfront medical pricing
There's no need to be squeamish when it comes to asking about the price of a health care service. Avoid unpleasant surprises by following these tips:
- Get ALL the details. If your treatment is a surgical procedure, make sure to ask about pricing for all aspects of the care, including the surgeon, hospital, anesthesiologist, pathologist, or any other related fees.
- Know the specifics. Write down the name of the service and, if possible, ask your doctor for the billing, or CPT, codes. The more specific you are, the easier it is to get an accurate price.
- Figure out the fair price. Before asking a provider, look up the medical service using the Healthcare Blue Book tool on AngiesList.com and write down the price so you can compare.
- Shop around. Call several highly rated providers and ask to speak with an employee who can discuss pricing.
- Share your status. If you have insurance, tell your provider so you'll get the rate your insurance company has negotiated. If you're paying out-of-pocket, be sure to ask for the self-pay discount.