How to avoid Phoenix roofing scams
How to avoid being scammed:
- Be patient. Reputable contractors are very busy, and scammers will take the opportunity to pressure someone who thinks their roof needs to be repaired right away.
- Get written estimates from at least three contractors. If a door-to-door contractor says they’ve noticed your roof needs to be repaired, confirm this with a local contractor.
- Always verify a contractor’s license number. If you’re particularly suspicious, call the company and confirm the person at your door works for them.
- Ask for and check local references of work that’s at least a year old.
- Never make large payments upfront. Don’t rush into making a decision.
- If you feel you’ve been scammed, make a complaint to the Arizona Registrar of Contractors by calling 602-542-1525, or go to azroc.gov.