Historic Portland newspaperman's home open to the public
3229 N.W. Pittock Drive
Henry Pittock arrived in Portland in 1853.
He worked at the Weekly Oregonian newspaper and, after he assumed ownership of the paper in 1860, he changed the paper's format to today's daily Oregonian. He and his wife, Georgiana, were married the same year, and Pittock began investing in paper mills, railroads and real estate.
The mansion, designed by architect Edward T. Foulkes, was built in 1914. The home's interior includes examples of architecture from various periods, and the exterior was constructed in French Renaissance Chateauesque Revival form.
Georgiana died in 1918 and Henry in 1919, but relatives continued living in the mansion until 1958. The Pittocks' grandson sold the house to the city of Portland in 1964.
It was restored - retaining period furnishings and some original family pieces - and opened for tours in 1965. It's remained open to visitors ever since.
Thanks to Lucy McLean, Pittock Mansion program manager, for providing information about this home.