Help to find home care: 5 questions you need to ask
Home care is the best way for many patients to preserve independence and remain in the comfort of their own home — so it’s critical to find a good fit.
“Research before hiring an agency,” says Rick Buck, chief communications chair for the national in-home care group Bayada Nurses. “The quality of care, the availability of the services you need, and the training and expertise of the personnel are all important factors.”
To find the best in-home care provider, Buck recommends you ask these essential questions:
- Is your agency accredited, state licensed and Medicare certified?
- How are employees selected? Do you conduct a personal interview, reference check, criminal background check and competency evaluation?
- Does your agency employ the caregivers and fully insure them?
- Are registered nurses available to assess the clients' needs and prepare a written care plan?
- What procedures do you have in place to handle emergencies and do you offer 24-hour on-call service?