Green Pet Ownership | Angies List Tips
In your never-ending search for a greener lifestyle, don’t overlook your pets!
- Adopting a stray pet from your local humane society may be the easiest way to start a green lifestyle. An estimated 8 to10 million abandoned animals enter shelters every year looking for a home.
- An all natural diet is a great first step. There are numerous types of organic pet food, many of which can be found at your local pet store, or you can make your own. Simple recipes can be found online and finished food can be stored for up to five days.
- Use biodegradable bags to throw away your animal’s waste instead of plastic. A biodegradable bag will decompose quickly after being thrown away while plastic bags may take anywhere from 20 - 500 years. Green cat litters are also available and will speed up the decomposition process.
- From flea control to doggy toothpaste, there are hundreds of all natural organic pet grooming and hygiene products on the market.
- Look for toys made out of recycled and eco-friendly materials, such as recycled plastic soda pop bottles, hemp, cotton, wool and other organic fabrics. Green chew toys, frisbees, leashes and collars are among the many green items that are just as durable and long lasting as non-recycled ones. Prices range from $5-$15.