Balance and symmetry important to holiday decorating
Spruce up your mantel to add even more warmth to your fireplace this winter. We asked florist Tara Bailie, owner of A Day in Provence in St. Paul, to show us how to decorate one for the holiday season.
“A fireplace mantel should be inviting and festive,” Bailie says. “Have fun with your design and the possibilities are endless!”
- Balance and symmetry are very important to a beautiful design. Balance can also be obtained by grouping similar objects together or focusing on different heights.”
- “Bring the beauty of nature inside. Do this by including rustic elements such as honeysuckle or grapevines to create a base for a garland. For more visual interest, add in berries, pine cones and winter foliage.”
- Fragrance is a must for the holidays. It’s the perfect time of year to incorporate wonderful aromas and scents into your home. I like to use cedar, cinnamon sticks and fresh herbs — such as rosemary topiaries — to create the perfect atmosphere.”
- Sparkle is one of my favorite elements for this season. Add shimmer by using holiday lights, sugared-fruit ornaments, crystal strands or glowing candles. These objects help reflect the light and create even more warmth and ambiance.”
- Nostalgia also plays a role in a successful mantel design for the holidays. You should display pieces that are sentimental and beautiful to you.”
- Keep it simple. This is one of my standbys — less is more. Keep the fresh floral arrangements the same throughout, so as not to distract the eye.