The anatomy of your roof
Here's a look at some common parts of your roof and problems associated with them:
- Flashing: The material around pipes, vents or other protrusions is a prime spot for damage or water leaks.
- Gutter: Gutters are susceptible to water buildup and ice damming.
- Fascia: The front board along your roof line is easily damaged by moisture.
- Soffit: Small animals and insects are attracted to the wood beneath the roof overhang, so pay close attention for cracks, holes and rotting.
- Shingles: Discolored or curling shingles can be a sign that repairs will be needed soon.