9 easy tips to keep your carpet looking new
Maintaining your home’s carpets is certainly not easy, as daily wear and tear definitely take their toll on a carpet’s appearance. The good news is that you can take steps yourself to reduce the amount of dirt on or in your carpet, extending the time between professional cleanings for your carpets.
Here are 9 ways you can maintain your carpet’s appearance and prolong its life:
1. Wipe your feet – Use both indoor and outdoor doormats at each of your home’s entry doors to reduce the amount of dirt and grime brought into your house.
2. Vacuum frequently – Vacuum heavily trafficked sections of your home’s carpets two to three times per week. Less trafficked sections should be vacuumed once a week.
3. Remove spots and stains – You can make your own spot cleaner by mixing ¼ teaspoon of liquid laundry detergent (without bleach) with 1 cup of cold water. Make sure to rinse it thoroughly.
4. Protect your carpet – Get a carpet protector spray applied on a regular basis and especially immediately after a professional carpet cleaning. Over time, the protective layer on stain-resistant carpets eventually wears down.
5. Test stain or spot removers before using – Test the colorfastness of a stain- or spot-removing product in an inconspicuous area before using it in a highly visible area.
6. Also, test area rugs– If you plan on placing an area rug over carpet always test the area rug for colorfastness first. Some area rugs may bleed on your carpet.
7. Don’t forget what’s under the rug – Vacuum the carpet underneath area rugs occasionally to eliminate any loose debris that may have been filtered through the rugs and onto the carpet.
8. Leave the blocks in place – Immediately following a professional carpet cleaning, leave the protective blocks underneath furniture in place to avoid any color transfer that may occur between the furniture and carpet.
9. Don’t forget your furniture – The upholstered furniture in your home collects dust and soil particles in a similar way as your carpet does. Get your furniture professionally cleaned at the same time the carpet is cleaned.
Major Floor Care in Altamonte Springs, Fla. John and his staff have been cleaning carpeting, upholstery and tile and grout, as well as stripping and waxing, and honing and polishing marble in the Orlando area for the past 16 years. Major Floor Care also earned the 2012 Angie’s List Super Service Award.
As of Feb. 14, 2013, this service provider was highly rated on Angie's List. Ratings are subject to change based on consumer feedback, so check Angie's List for the most up-to-date reviews. The views expressed by this author do not necessarily reflect those of Angie's List.