8 tips to prevent dental decay
Keeping your pearly whites intact lets you flash a sparkling smile and boosts confidence. Battling dental decay can be crucial to maintaining teeth over your lifetime. Preventative care promotes good dental health, keeps away decay and saves you from expensive fillings.
To prevent dental disease, the American Dental Association (ADA) gives these tips:
- Brush twice a day and use a toothpaste with fluoride
- Floss once a day
- Eat a balanced diet
- Limit eating and drinking between meals
- Eat nutritious foods for snacks
- Visit your dentist regularly
- Ask your dentist whether supplemental fluoride is right for you
- Ask your dentist about dental sealants
The ADA says a cavity is caused by bacteria in the mouth that deteriorates the teeth. Acid produced by bacteria can dissolves enamel and cause a hole to form. Cavities cannot heal without dental treatment. Consult a highly rated dentist if you feel pain or suspect a cavity.