8 spring air conditioning tips
Routine maintenance can extend the life of your A/C unit. Hire a pro to make repairs.
When the weather shows a warming trend and spring seems around the corner, you should do the following to improve your air conditioner in time for the coming summer:
1. Open the vents under your house if it is peer and beam foundation.
2. Check that you have visqueen down over the earth under the house.
3. Wash the exterior condenser unit off with a hose, removing dirt and debris from the fin area.
4. Using a mild solution of soap and water can help remove stuck on grime.
5. Do not bend the fins with the water or any hard object.
6. Change your system filter and at least once each month.
7. Have a reputable A/C company inspect the unit and service it prior to the start of summer.
8. Inspect the duct work or have it inspected by an A/C company.
Additionally, you may wish to check the attic insulation to ensure it is near 10 inches thick and provides a good cover throughout the attic. Unsealed doors and windows are more a problem for heat but should be checked periodically.
Allow the inspectors to replace any items that show wear or could malfunction when operated.
A/C servicing requires a 70-degree day for optimum results when checking the unit service for freon levels. These suggestions when applied should guarantee a normal unit surviving a harsh summer.
Jones Engineering Inc. in Sherwood, Ark. As of Feb. 3, 2012, this service provider was highly rated on Angie’s List. Ratings are subject to change based on consumer feedback, so check AngiesList.com for the most up-to-date reviews. The views expressed by this author do not necessarily reflect those of Angie’s List.