7 tips to cut the wait time to see your doctor
an examinging room in a doctor's office is prepped for a patient.
Preventive care plays a major role in staying healthy and emergency care is so called for a reason. Don’t avoid the doctor because of long wait times. Instead, try these tips:
• When trying to schedule a much-needed appointment with a new doctor or specialist, chat up the person who schedules visits and explain why you need to be seen as soon as possible.
• Ask to be put on the doctor’s cancellation list and follow up with the scheduler weekly if you’re looking for a new doctor or want to see a specialist.
• For normal office visits, ask for the first morning or after lunch appointment. Arrive early, bring your medication and a short list of the questions you most want addressed.
• If you need more time, ask the scheduler to book two time slots so you don’t feel rushed and the next patients aren’t kept waiting.
• When your doctor isn’t available for same-day appointments, ask to see another doctor, physician assistant or a nurse practitioner.
• Visit an urgent care center or retail clinic for routine sick appointments.
• Call ahead to make sure your doctor’s appointments are running on time.