7 tips for a clutter-free and organized home
Angie’s List contacted its highly rated home organization professionals for advice and came up with seven quick tips for getting clutter under control:
- Make a list of the cluttered areas you want to clear. Rank the areas by priority.
- Declutter one area at a time, staying with it until it’s done, even if it takes a few days. Mark it off the list and move on to the next area.
- Don’t let sentiment be your guide. If you’re not going to wear an item or use it again, give it away.
- Be holistic. Don’t stop at your wardrobe. Go through your bathroom, kitchen and storage closets, too.
- Establish a place for everything and then keep everything in its place. Clearly label bins before you stack things away. Put the least-needed bins at the back or bottom of the pile. If you buy new storage bins, avoid round containers; rectangular and square shapes take up less space.
- Hire a pro if the job seems too big, but check credentials and consumer ratings first.
- And finally, once you’re clutter-free, focus your purchases on replacing things, not adding, or you’ll find yourself surrounded again.