7 signs of a great dentist
A visit to the dentist can be an intensely stressful experience for some Chicago residents. Finding the right dentist can go a long way toward relieving that anxiety.
Here are seven signs to look for when selecting a dentist:
- Certification. In addition to the regular educational and licensure requirements, make sure that the dentist or dental specialist is certified by and organization representing his or her advertised area of expertise.
- Environment. The office should be clean, with a pleasant staff who respects a patient’s time by minimizing waiting times.
- Accessibility. You want the dentist to be available enough to work you in if an emergency occurs.
- Background information. A dentist should take a complete medical history on the first visit, including a list of any medications you take to avoid interactions. On the first and subsequent visits, the dentist should ask about symptoms, such as bleeding or discomfort, and either the dentist or a hygienist should remind you about proper dental maintenance between visits.
- Pain management. Finding the fine line between helping a patient remain pain-free and overmedicating can be challenging. But as you look for a dental professional, ask about the use of various pain management options.
- Complication rates. Just as with any medical professional, a dentist or specialist will have a complication rate for certain procedures. Compare those rates with the goal of finding a dental professional whose rate is at or below the national average.
- Results. A great dentist should leave a patient with a comfortable bite, no rough surfaces, and a willingness to complete promised cosmetic and comfort improvements.