6 ways to keep your home more secure
Whether you’re leaving town for a vacation or simply leaving the house to run a few errands, it’s easy for busy people to become careless and leave their home vulnerable to theft and other crimes.
Here are a few tips to keep your home more secure while you’re away:
1. Don't leave home without securing it first - If your home has a security system installed, be extra careful to set the alarm when you leave the house, even if it’s just for a few minutes, but especially when leaving your home for an extended period of time such as a business trip or a vacation. Don’t forget to check and make sure your windows and doors are securely locked before leaving, too.
2. Get an extra set of eyes while you're away - If you’re leaving your home for an extended period of time, such as a day or more, have a trusted neighbor, friend or family member keep an eye on your house and pick up your newspapers and mail. Depending on where you live, the police department may offer to do a courtesy patrol while you’re away.
3. Set your lights and appliances to auto-pilot - While you’re away from your home for a few days or more, make sure you have your indoor and outdoor lights set up to work with an automatic timer. You can also set an automatic timer for your radio or television, or leave them on, so the house looks and sounds occupied.
4. Keep tempting items out of sight - Make sure to keep high-value items like TVs, stereos, computers or other electronics out of sight through your home’s windows and doors.
5. Don't announce recent expensive purchases - If and when you purchase an expensive item like a TV, stereo, computer or other electronic appliance, never leave the box or carton outside by your trash. Break the boxes down and take them to a nearby Dumpster or recycling center.
6. Get automated and stay connected - Install a wireless digital security system that includes Internet connectivity and home automation features that can control lighting, appliances and HVAC systems. That way you don’t have to leave lights, appliances or heating and air conditioning running constantly while you’re away. With Internet connectivity features, you can monitor your home and connected systems from anywhere using your smartphone or a computer.
Action Alarm Solutions in The Colony, Texas, has more than 17 years of experience in the security industry. Action Alarm Solutions, a licensed security alarm company, provides digital security and home automation solutions to clients throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area and earned the Angie's List Super Service Award in 2012.
As of Feb. 26, 2013, this service provider was highly rated on Angie's List. Ratings are subject to change based on consumer feedback, so check Angie's List for the most up-to-date reviews. The views expressed by this author do not necessarily reflect those of Angie's List.