6 tips to find the best hair salons, get a great haircut
The search for the perfect hair salon is a lifelong quest for some women. And there's nothing worse than starting the search over after every failed haircut. The good news is, a great hair salon is out there - you just need to ask the right questions before you sit down in the chair.
- Ask if the hair salon offers a free or low-cost consultation before the actual cut. It's important that you like the vibe of the salon and make a connection with the stylist before the scissors come out.
- Personality is important, so make sure you feel comfortable talking to the stylist and that he or she understands your look and what style of haircut will work best on you. You don't have to be best friends, but the last thing you want is a "yes man." A hair stylist should feel comfortable telling you up front that the celebrity hair style picture you brought in just won't work on you.
- If you have curly hair, make sure the hair stylist can handle it ahead of time. Ask what techniques they use. Odds are you've been in the chair for many stylists that don't do well with curly hair so talk about what hasn't worked for you in the past.
- If coloring is important, ask if they have dedicated colorists on staff.
- Ask about scheduling. Some hair salons get so booked you have to schedule months in advance. That can also be the sign of a great salon, just make sure you plan your appointments ahead of time.
- If you aren't happy with the haircut once you get home, can you come back in for a touch-up? Some salons will fix the cut for free if you come back within the week.
Get our tips for breaking up with your hair stylist if you simply can't make it work with your current hair salon.