5 ways fresh paint can improve your home's curb appeal
chicago front door
Just like books, it’s not fair to judge a home by its exterior, although many do. Lucky for you, there are easy ways to update your home’s curb appeal. Whether you’re trying to sell your home or just want to update a dated exterior, paint is a simple and immediate way to make changes to your home’s exterior without breaking the bank.
1. Siding – This might seem obvious to most, but somehow many people neglect their siding until it becomes an eyesore. Some things to consider if you are thinking of painting your siding a different color: Have you changed your front door color or gotten a new one? Have you added any accents to your home’s exterior such as shutters or planters? Are you looking to update your home’s over-all style? No matter the reason for considering a change in color, make sure you put samples of the colors on to get a clear idea of how they will look on your house, with all its details and in the different light throughout the day.
2. Front porch – Your front porch is a welcoming place, but if it has peeling or flaking paint, you might feel like it’s worn out its welcome. If you have a front porch that looks less than inviting, consider giving it a fresh, clean look with white paint, or a warm and inviting look with a stain.
3. Garage doors – Standard white garage doors can be plain Jane. Why not spruce yours up with a coat of paint or stain? Or if you’re feeling edgy, you could add some accent pieces or hardware to your existing garage to make it more architecturally appealing; think of carriage-style garage doors or a more traditional or classic style. No matter what you decide, painting or staining your garage doors will give your home a pop of not only color, but style!
4. Shutters – If your home had clothing, they would probably be its shutters. Without them your home would look naked. If your home’s shutters are looking a little tattered, it’s probably time to show them some love. Just like you, getting a new outfit (or shutters, in this case) will make your home look and feel like a million bucks!
5. Front door – One of the most dramatic changes you can make to the exterior of your home is by changing one of the smallest parts of it; your front door! After years in the harsh sun and with the welcoming of many visitors and friends, your front door may have resulted in more than a few scratch or scuffs - a little facelift might just be what your front door is looking for. From a bold yellow to a more subtle stain, sometimes a coat of paint or stain to your front door is all it takes to freshen up your home’s curb appeal and make your home stand out from the rest.