5 tips on hiring a house cleaner in Los Angeles
Hiring a local house cleaner in Los Angeles who knows how to properly take care of your home’s furniture and surfaces can be a challenge. Here are 5 tips to make the task a little easier.
1. Do your research. To find a house cleaning service you can trust, check Angie’s List for reviews on Los Angeles-area house cleaners and ask friends or neighbors for recommendations.
2. Ask for proof of insurance. Before employing the services of a company, make sure it has an adequate insurance plan to cover your valuables in case of accidents or related incidents. Fatima Brown, owner of highly rated Property Maid in Marina Del Ray, Calif., recommends finding a house cleaning company that guarantees customer satisfaction.
“Good house cleaning companies generally have a good reputation and they guarantee their work. Everyone has different expectations and requirements, so if a customer is not satisfied, we make sure to send someone back within 24 hours,” Brown says.
3. Look in the cleaning kit. Regina Hello, owner of highly rated Queen of Clean in South Pasadena, Calif., suggests finding out what cleaning tools will be used in your home. “Make sure to ask them specifically which products they use, such as the type of feather dusters used. These transfer germs and dust from home to home, which is why we use disposable Swiffer dusters and new rags at each home.”
Be sure to ask what type of cleaners will be used to prevent any damage from occurring to sensitive or treated surfaces, such as countertops or floors. “Make sure they also have the right equipment, such as safety ladders,” Hello adds.
4. Walk it out. “A walkthrough is recommended so that the house cleaner can give an appropriate bid before taking on the job,” Hello said.
5. Show your appreciation. Are you happy with your service? Make sure you give feedback to the service. “A tip is always nice, but it isn’t mandatory,” Hello says. “If you would like to tip a house cleaner, about $5 is appropriate for every $100 that is spent.”
Typically, regular customers leave tips for the maids, especially during the holiday season, Hello says. A good tip encourages consistency in exceptionally high cleaning standards and keeps service providers motivated to perform their best, however, it’s up to the homeowner whether to tip or not.