5 questions to ask when hiring a photographer
Great portraits have one thing in common: skillful use of light. “I cannot stress enough how much the quality of light affects a portrait,” says Theresa Bertocci, owner of 2012 Super Service Award-winning Theresa Bertocci Photography in Chicago.
Ask about the photographer’s skill with light and the lighting equipment he or she uses. Bertocci prefers double-filtered softboxes. “They give skin the most pleasing tone it can have.” Also, find a photographer who puts you at ease. “That’s key,” she says. If you are uncomfortable, it will show in the photos.
• What copyright restrictions apply to your photos?
• Have you had formal photography and/or art training?
• Exactly how many poses, proofs and images are included in the price?
• What should I wear and can I bring multiple outfits?
• How long will the session take?