5 questions to ask a Chicago carpet cleaner
If you’ve made your home in the Windy City, the effects of the elements—from dry summer dust to soiled winter slush — will likely wreak havoc on your carpet.
A thorough carpet cleaning often requires the help of a professional cleaning service. Tough stains are trampled deep into a carpet’s fibers making them impossible to remove without the right tools, and over-the-counter stain removal products can actually make a stain worse if used incorrectly.
“Maintaining a home’s carpeting with regularly scheduled cleanings and spot removal extends the life of the carpeting thereby protecting your investment,” says Sharon Renn, owner of A Day & Night Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning in Westmont, Ill.
There are currently more than 160 highly rated carpet cleaning companies in the Chicago area on Angie’s List. If you are thinking about hiring a company to clean your home, it’s recommended that you interview prospective companies to make sure they are up to the task.
Here’s a list of questions that can aid in your search:
- How long have you been in business? Presumably, the more experience the company has, the better the outcome will be.
- Does the company offer a free estimate or inspection? Most companies will come out to your home and give a free estimate. Some even prefer to clean before giving an estimate to ensure the customer is happy with the work.
- Have you performed background checks on your technicians? After all, you are the one opening up your home to a stranger. Ask about the screening process of employees.
- Do you clean high-rise apartments and condos? Some carpet cleaning companies specifically exclude service to high-rise buildings, which poses a problem for many residents in Downtown Chicago.
- Does the company offer a written guarantee? Beware of companies that include a large number of restrictions and conditions. A reputable company should be able to give you a written guarantee.