5 questions to ask about menopause
All women must navigate menopause and hormonal changes as they age.
“Symptoms can start 10 to 15 years before menopause,” says Rebecca Mendoza, a nurse practitioner and certified menopause practitioner at highly rated Menopause Center of Minnesota in St. Paul. “Fifty-one is the average age of menopause.”
Many patients need help managing symptoms, from hot flashes to mood swings. “It’s important to find a health practitioner who listens and is up-to-date on hormone research,” says Diane Feller, a CMP at the Menopause Center. Once you find the right provider, here are some key questions to ask:
1. Are the symptoms I’m experiencing normal?
2. How does going through menopause affect my overall health?
3. What kind of treatment is right for my symptoms?
4. For hormone replacement therapy, how long should I stay on hormones?
5. Are there natural options for treating menopause symptoms?
For the most up-to-date reviews, visit angieslist.com and check out our Women’s Services — Obstetrics & Gynecology category.