5 massages a Charlotte massage therapist can do
Massages are not just a luxury you should expect as part of an all-inclusive resort vacation.
There are a growing number of people who consider it an essential part of their routine for stress relief and sense of well-being. In fact, 22 percent of American adults reported they had received a massage during a one-year period between July 2008 and July 2009, according to a study conducted by the American Massage Therapy Association.
That means one in five Americans received a massage for reasons like relaxation, fatigue assistance or for medical reasons. The same study revealed that more than 80 percent of the people who had received massages in the five years prior to the study thought massages were beneficial for pain, overall health and well-being.
A professional massage from an accredited Charlotte massage therapist might be included in your health insurance plan. As the health benefits of massages become more apparent, physicians could increasingly recommend the practice for their patients.
If you’re not familiar with the different types of massages, here is a guide to help you understand some of the most popular procedures:
- Deep-tissue massage: The most well-known and popular type of therapy in this field, deep-tissue massage helps relax the deeper layers of muscle tissue by strategically applying heavy pressure in the correct places. It is used by athletes and people who experience soreness or pain from physical activity.
- Medical massages: Designed to treat specific medical problems like fibromyalgia, sprains and migraine headaches, medical massages are strategic in alleviating the root of these conditions.
- Chair massages: These popular massages, which tend to require less time, focus on the shoulders and upper back.They are popular in shopping malls, and can be a fun and relaxing activity at a corporate event or party. They also can be a great pick-me-up for someone who is constantly on the go.
- Shiatsu: This style of massage effectively marries massage with acupuncture. Shiatsu massage therapists use guidelines from acupuncture therapy to apply pressure with their fingers on different spots on the body.
- Prenatal massages: According to the American Pregnancy Association, women who receive prenatal massages can enjoy different improvements. They get the usual benefits of less joint pain and relaxed muscles. However, they also may experience fewer labor pains.
Holistic medicine is growing in popularity. The American Holistic Medical Association has found that 40 percent of adults in America use some kind of alternative medicine in addition to their Western medicine. Besides the health benefits, massages are also just a great way to relax and help relieve stress for busy professionals, moms, athletes and women who are pregnant. The risks involved with getting a massage are very low and the benefits can be priceless.
Sign in to Angie’s List to read what kind of massages Charlotte members recently received and if they would recommend their massage therapist.