5 ideas to help sell your home quickly
More on the market
The changes in the real estate market makes it increasingly important to have your home looks its best during a showing. Here are five ideas to help you sell more quickly.
- Hire a home stager. Staging a home for sale used to be considered a luxury. Now, many real estate agents consider it a necessity. The best home stagers research the types of people who buy houses in your neighborhood and adjust the house to suit that demographic. If most buyers are families with kids, keep all the bedrooms as bedrooms. If more singles are looking to move in, consider staging one of the bedrooms as an office or home gym.
- Look outside in. A buyer first sees what’s outside your house, not the inside. Freshly cut grass, manicured shrubs, swept sidewalks and a power-washed driveway look inviting; sick or dead potted plants don’t.
- Clutter kills. Go through every room in your house and decide which belongings you’ll need in the next six months and which you won’t. Get rid of the second pile — in the trash or in storage. If you need extra help, hire a home organizer.
- Remove personal effects. Buyers want to imagine themselves living there and too many reminders of your family can make them almost feel like they’re invading someone’s home. And that’s a sales turn-off.
- Take great photos. Nearly 90 percent of homebuyers research homes online, according to realty industry research. If you're hiring a home stager, take the photos after their work is done.