4 dangers of DIY mold removal projects
The internet is filled with handyman websites, DIY sites, blog services and other facets encouraging homeowners to tackle mold remediation projects themselves. This creates a cycle of misinformed people trying to solve a problem without professional guidance.
The DIY mentality is especially dangerous and scary in an area like the New Jersey shore that was so greatly affected by Superstorm Sandy. Homeowners along the coast thought they were dodging the mold issue by gutting all the wet building material and contents from their home. Many people are now realizing that was not enough as they attempt to battle the problem on their own.
Below are four reasons why do-it-yourself mold remediation projects can be dangerous.
1. Inadequate equipment.
There are special supplies and equipment needed in order to properly perform a mold remediation job. This includes air filtration devices that get strategically placed inside the work area and are usually vented out through a window to create negative air pressure. This insures that no outside contaminants are entering the structure during remediation.
2. Insufficient personal protective wear.
Protect yourself and others from getting sick or cross contamination. Many will not take the proper precautions to protect themselves. Anyone trained to handle contaminants knows that there are certain ways to get in and out of your protective wear to prevent the spread or inhalation of the contaminant.
There are hours of training involved, including being fit for a respirator. Buying a paint suit and dust mask from the hardware store is not enough protection.
As a mold remediation contractor, many times we find ourselves in complicated situations and have to use our many hours of training to troubleshoot the scenario. Nothing is “black and white” and almost every job needs some type of specialized attention. Sometimes this requires us to reference our training textbooks or even call a professor for advice.
4. Allergic reaction.
Some people have severe allergies to certain types of mold while others have none at all. Most of us are unaware of these allergies until they start to see symptoms. There are also toxic mold spores that can be extremely dangerous, even in small amounts.
These are just four of the most obvious reasons to call a mold removal professional for advice. Every situation is unique and any qualified contractor should gladly come out to your property to discuss your options and provide a visual inspection. Use your judgment, ask questions, get references and make sure they have a pollution liability insurance policy.